What is WorkFirst?
WorkFirst is a new national programme for school leavers, launched by The Challenge Network and funded by the UK government.
The programme provides employers with motivated school leavers who have the attributes to succeed in today's diverse and complex workplace, and equips these schools leavers with the professional and people skills to launch their careers.
Who is The Challenge Network?
The Challenge Network is the UK’s leading charity for building a more integrated society. We work on a local level to connect people together across all ages and walks of life.
We put our mission into practice through our 2 programmes, working with over 15,000 young people every year:
- The Challenge: is an intense four part programme for 16 and 17 year olds delivered as part of the government’s National Citizen Service (NCS). The programme is comprised of physical and team challenges and social action projects.
- The Challenge Society: is our year-round programme for graduates of The Challenge.
WorkFirst will be the third of these programmes.
Why are we offering this programme?
We are meeting the needs of young people are employers:
- Young people: It is the first step for young people to build their future career - whether they want to go on to university, further vocational training, straight into the world of work or they’re just not sure. We provide the chance to get experience, build professional networks and share their experiences with other young people.
- Employers: Employers benefit from a school leaver who is motivated and skilled - meeting their needs to recruit a high quality workforce. We recruit the young people, and support them in the workplace.
Who are the target audiences?
1. Primary audience is employers, as we believe this group will be harder to convince on the benefits of the programme:
- Clean, professional, modern, dynamic but not too corporate
- We are a place where they can find quality young people who are prepared to work hard
2. Secondary audience is young people:
- Clean, professional, modern, dynamic but also fun, new, exciting
- We want to communicate we can secure a future, and that there are new exciting experiences with us
We need to capture the essence of the possibility a young person has - both future-securing and fun.