I am a german author und looking for a creative and simple cover for a new german crime series, to be published as ebook and print version.
The cover I need must have following informations:
• Title: ElbSchuld (the word comes from “Elbe”, a river in Hamburg and Schleswig-Holstein and “Schuld” means Guilt.)
Maybe: ElbSCHULD or something like that, I am open to that.
• Author: Nicole Wollschlaeger
• In very small letters somewhere, the words need to appear:
Kriminalroman (means crime novel)
Philip Goldbergs erster Fall (means the first case for Detective Goldberg)
• Here's the tentative back cover description::
Goldberg kommt! Der Auftakt einer wunderbar schrägen Serie.
Hilde Deterding ist davon überzeugt, Morddrohungen aus dem Jenseits zu erhalten. Und als an ihrem vergifteten Hund die Spuren von menschlicher Asche sichergestellt werden, steckt Kommissar Goldberg mitten in den Ermittlungen eines kuriosen Falls, der auch in ihm alte Geister wecken wird.
• The spine: title and name of the author
The story is funny, because the different characters; weird because of the unusual story and a bit mystical, because of the ghost, the old woman believing in. All in all it is easy to read.
It is about a criminal detective (Philip Goldberg), coming from Berlin to a very small village called “Kophusen”. This village is placed in the very north of Germany, directly at the river Elbe. It is summer.
Goldberg is the new Chief from two policemen: Hauke the irascible and doubtful Womanizer and Peter, the gossipy Widower. Both are coming from Kophusen. The two men have some difficulties to get familiar with the laconic Goldberg, but after all they like each other.
The story begins with an old woman (called: Hilde), owner of an big apple farm, coming to the police department and tell the three policeman, that her husband raised from the dead und tries to kill her now.
Except Goldberg nobody believes her. But short time later, they find the poisoned (real) dog of Hilde and her favourite stuffed animal (a small sheep) with a knife through its body. At both “animals” they find traces of ashes.
So Goldberg decides to dig out the Urn of the dead husband. He captures it from the cemetery. But in it, there is no ash, only a note: It's time to settle your guilt.
More and more the story loses the mystical touch. So in the end there is no ghost. Hildes daughter wanted to kill her. She hid herself in the attic of Hildes House and intimidates so her mum. The surprise is, that she is the Ex-Wife from Goldberg as well and wants revenge, because their own daughter has died by an accident, in which Goldberg has driven the car. So she also tries to kill Goldberg. But she fails in both attempts and get into the psychiatry.
Finally Hildes “most hated” policeman Hauke rescues her out of the crematorium, where she stunned lies in a coffin and waits for burning.
• Although this novel has a regional touch, the cover should not have the ordinary things like lighthouse, ocean, dike, sand, seagulls etc.
• It should be a mixture of weird and funny. (It is not as dark as it sounds and not that heavy). Please notice, it is no psycho thriller or mystical novel! It has just a mystical touch.
• This first book might serve as a branding model for later books. Maybe the style, the font, an image or whatever--into future books so they look like they go together. (One of the next titles will be ElbWAHN ! ) But it is not a must have! I'm open to that too.
• When I have the cover in mind, I think of simple images like an appletree, ashes or the stabbed stuffed animal. Or maybe a house (Hildes apple farm) with a thatch roof or something. I attached some pictures I liked, but I am open to your proposals! It could be something completely different. Just please no cemeteries and big real faces.