Contest title: Cover design for a modern historical fiction paperback book, titled: Be Silent.
Looking for a book cover that stands out.
• It must be simple, yet bright, but not in your face.
• The title and author name have to be still legible, even on postage-stamp-size covers, as found on websites, for e.g. Amazon and Goodreads.
Subtitle: It's for a book. Title: Be Silent. Author: Danie Botha
The design for the front cover of the book (the paperback) should also be used for the eBook format. (The eBook only requires a front cover--the same front cover.)
• Book cover: (front/spine/back) for a 5,25" x 8" - paperback book.
• 344 pages - black & white on cream paper
• Text on front cover:
(Use combination of upper and lower case for text. The font size of "A Novel" is smaller than the title and author's name.)
• Text on spine: Be Silent/Danie Botha/Charbellini Press
• Text on back cover:
The following "120-word summary" is the text that has to appear on the back cover of the book (top 1/2):
"Curiosity has consequences. It can cost you your childhood–if it doesn’t kill you.
For the new African country Zambia, 1964 heralds a joyous and turbulent time: celebration of its independence from Britain. Thirteen-year-old Rianna and ten-year-old Lukas and Anthony, live an idyllic life on Madzi Moyo–a tucked-away Mission station. That changes when the trio stumbles upon two hidden AK-47s and is caught by Mavuto, the guns’ owner, a staunch African nationalist. He abducts them on the spot: afraid they will telltale and jeopardize his private plan to ensure his country's independence. Over the course of a single night and morning, a race and rescue mission ensues, which, as the hours pass, becomes more violent and out-of-control."
Elements to potentially include in the cover design:
silhouette or image(s) of a Baobab tree, and or Mopani trees,
three children: a 13-year old girl, two 10-year old boys,
two AK 47 rifles,
a 1958 Chevy truck with a canvas canopy,
African bush (Zambia),
• The facial detail of the children should be obscured/blurred - rather silhouettes? The reader has to form their own picture of what the children look like.
• Colours: setting-sun spectrum: orange/reds in background. Silhouettes of most of the above-listed elements perhaps in dark navy/brown spectrum?
The design stretches from the front cover onto the spine. The back cover has mostly background colors which were used on the front.